Searching...
Monday 13 August 2012

Seriously? Virgin Airlines prohibits men from sitting with minors

John McGirr, a 33-year-old firefighter from Sydney Australia, was waiting for takeoff on a recent Virgin Australia flight when he was told by a flight attendant that he needed to change seats. McGirr had been sitting next to two boys, aged 8 and 10.
Virgin's company policy does not allow men to sit next to unaccompanied minors.
According to a blog post written by McGirr, the flight attendant apologized, explained it was a matter of policy, then asked a female passenger to sit with the boys.
In McGirr's post, he expresses concern with what is becoming the new normal in an increasingly paranoid society:
"The incident left me angry, embarrassed and acutely aware of how society has become fearful of everyone. To the point that we are all presumed guilty and treated appropriately."
He also describes the humiliation of being treated like a potential predator on a plane full of passengers:
"As I collected my things from the seat pocket I could see people looking at me and wondering why I was being moved. I was red from embarrassment. I felt like I was being judged and found guilty of a crime I hadn't committed. It was an uncomfortable situation and I felt ashamed which was a weird feeling because I hadn't done anything wrong."
Virgin defended its policy, but also said it would be reviewed.
"In our experience, most guests thoroughly understand that the welfare of the child is our priority," a Virgin spokeswoman told the media.
"Our intention is certainly not to discriminate in any way," the airline said in a statement, before stating that it would review its policy.
I'm not sure what to think about this story. At first glance, a policy like this, not allowing any men to sit with unaccompanied children on planes, seems blatantly sexist, paranoid, and ludicrous.
Will we never get beyond the sugar and spice and everything nice, snakes and snails and puppy dogs tailsmentality?
The habit of viewing all males in the proximity of children as a possible wolves in sheep's clothing is both dangerous and depressing. I don't know what the answer is, but seeing the public backlash, and potential change, this story has caused is encouraging.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comments

 
Back to top!