Searching...
Thursday 16 May 2013

David Beckham Retires From Football


David Beckham will bring an end to one of the most illustrious and stardust-sprinkled playing careers in the history of English football when he retires at the end of the season.
Beckham had been expected to sign a one-year contract extension at current club Paris Saint Germain, but has instead decided to quit in order to launch a new phase in his football career.
While some will argue Beckham's fame, thanks to his model good looks and marriage to former Spice girl Victoria, out-stripped his actual ability as a footballer, there is no doubting the huge impact he has had on the game as its biggest global star.
With 115 caps, the former England captain was also at the heart of the national side for more than a decade. Making his debut in 1996, Beckham was the first name on the team sheet for much of his international career and played in two World Cup quarter-finals.
After winning the French title with PSG, Beckham has won 19 trophies - 10 of them league titles - in a playing career spanning 20 years, and is the only English player to win championships in four different countries.
"I'm thankful to PSG for giving me the opportunity to continue but I feel now is the right time to finish my career, playing at the highest level," said Beckham in a statement.
"If you had told me as a young boy I would have played for and won trophies with my boyhood club Manchester United, proudly captained and played for my country over 100 times and lined up for some of the biggest clubs in the world, I would have told you it was a fantasy. I'm fortunate to have realised those dreams.
"Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love. However, I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead.
"I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back."
Beckham has played for some of the biggest clubs in Europe, while also acting as a sporting ambassador for his country, playing a key role in London winning the race to host the 2012 Olympic Games.
The 38 year-old was born and raised in East London, but began his career at Manchester United at the age of 14, winning the Champions League in 1999, as well as the Premier League six times and the FA Cup twice.
He moved to Spanish giants Real Madrid for £30m in 2003, ending a long chase by president Florentina Perez to sign the most famous footballer of his generation.
He spent four years at the Bernabeu and won the Spanish Super Cup as well as La Liga.
In 2007, Beckham's fame persuaded LA Galaxy to offer him a lucrative $600m five-year contract to turn him into the face of the MLS. As well as helping to promote the league in the States, he also won the MLS Cup in 2011 and enjoyed two successful loan spells at AC Milan in Serie A.
His final game will be at Lorient on May 26.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comments

 
Back to top!